We woke up nice and early to catch the 9am ferry to the Statue of Liberty.
(Side Story: I was SO tired. This had been my 3rd consecutive night with less than 4 hours of sleep and on the subway ride over I could hardly keep my eyes open or hold myself up with each jerk and sway of the train. The world was spinning and I was exhausted. Then I remembered this is what you feel like all the time after you have a baby ;-)
It was a beautiful day! Bone-chilling cold, but beautiful. I was so excited...
We did the audio tour and loved it. We learned so many interesting facts. Here are just a few:
- The thickness of the copper sheeting is as thick as 2 pennies.
- When the wind blows 50mph it causes the statue to sway up to 3 inches and the torch up to 6 inches.
- Every part of the statue is symbolic.
- It is massive! The index finger alone is 8 feet, the mouth 3 feet.
- The day that they unveiled the statue women weren't allowed! They were furious and surrounded the island in boats protesting. The country was unveiling a statue of a woman to represent freedom and enlightenment and women weren't even allowed to celebrate it!
Afterwards we boarded the ferry, caught one last glimpse of Lady Liberty, and headed to Ellis Island...
On the ferry back to Manhattan we got some free entertainment from a youth group from the Midwest...
Time for a snack, and this one was worth documenting for me. I hate hotdogs. Always have. I think they are vile. However, I was determined to eat a NYC street dog, so I did...
I lasted half of it and tossed the rest in the closest trash can.
Next it was a stroll on the pier to the Brooklyn Bridge. Beautiful.
We walked halfway across, kissed, and acted like dorks on the way back while taking pictures of the amazing views.
Saw some *AMAZING* street entertainers on our way to SoHo...
Ate some super-duper delicious pizza. I kept saying to Sean, "I don't know why this is so freaking good, but this is SO FREAKING GOOD!"
It was seriously amazing.
Explored SoHo and China Town.
Refused to stand in the 1/2 mile long line to take a picture with the bull so we got one from the street.
Ground Zero...
Wall Street & Financial District...
Ended the day with a leisurely dinner in Little Italy and gelato on the way home...
We were exhausted and freezing but it was a wonderful day!






0 comments:
Post a Comment