April 17, 2011

13.1 Baby!

It's done! After over 4 months of training I ran a half marathon!


The day started for me at 4am. I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep so I got up and ready for the big day. I picked up the girls at 5:15 and we were on our way. After parking and peeing, we found ourselves sitting on the floor of a train for a very long TRAX ride to the starting line. We got there 10 minutes before the gun.


I've had the privilege of running a few races with these lovely ladies. They inspire me!


I felt amazing. The race went by so fast and my mile pace was almost a minute faster than what I had been training at. As I neared the finish line I was giddy excited to see my little fan club...and I did see some of them. My sister and her sweet family all came stocked with signs and a cheering, jumping crowd of 5 nieces and nephews. It was awesome!

But...

As hard as I looked and listened I couldn't find or hear Sean and the kids in the crowd. I know it sounds dramatic, but I was a little bit devastated. I KNEW they were there cheering and probably screaming to get my attention, but I couldn't find them. I was so sad I didn't see my hubs, my little buddy and my little lady cheering me on.  I cried a little bit, but was so happy to be done under my 2 hour goal!

Here are the stats:
Time: 1:55:10
Pace: 8:47
87th in my age bracket (out of 501)
1,139th overall place (out of 4,444)
428th girl to cross the finish line (out of 2,715)

It's nothing to brag about, but I did it!


We all finished within a few minutes of each other and met up for photos.



My really good friend (that I miss SO much) flew in from CA to run the race. We tried to meet up at the starting line so we could run together, but it just didn't happen with all the craziness. Within minutes of finishing we found each other!


My #1 supporter.
(He's pointing at my bib & medal, not my boobs :)


This was a special treat. I do my runs in the morning so everyday when Sean leaves for work we don't usually hug because I'm all sweaty and gross (I sweat a LOT for a girl), but this time he didn't hold back!


My sis and her fam. They rocked the cheering!


With all the hub-bub of getting to the race I failed to pay attention to where I parked in the parking garage. After 20 minutes of walking around to find it and another 35 to get out of the garage I finally made it to a crepe shop called Luna Berry to meet my fam. My family is so supportive! We pretty much took up the whole restaurant. 


My #1 coach!


My AMAZING sister-in-law has coached me since I started running after Addy. She gives me weekly training plans and endless perks and support in the form of phone calls, emails, massages and more. Really, she is so amazing.

Thank you so much everyone for all your support! 13.1 is DONE!

8 comments:

Erika said...

YAY! Good job! Your time was fantastic! I'm so proud. The weather that day was so perfect- such a fun race for you. Are you going to do another one soon?

Anonymous said...

Nothing to brag about?!?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?! You are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!! I wish so badly I was there at the finish line. I LOVE YOU!!!

Katie said...

Great job! So glad it's done! Ummm . . . I'm bragging about my time and it was slower than yours, so there you go!

Tyrell Berner said...

I was going to write exactly what Heather said! You are amazing. 2 hours?! 13.1 miles would take me 13.1 hours!

Brag all you want because that is awesome!

Proctor's said...

way to go Janelle! i am super proud of you! i wish i had the richardson gene to be able to run at all, but i got nothing! lol! way to go!
Kerianda

Kara said...

I am so proud of you!! Way to go Janelle! Miss you!

SQ said...

yay for you guys!! youre my running idol. im pretty sure i'll NEVER do a half marathon, maybe a 5k is in the future :) good job!!

Unknown said...

Good job! Love you lots!