October 5, 2011

Grandpa Olson

After Ryker's first soccer game we headed up to the cemetery to visit Sean's dads grave. This isn't something we do often.  He passed away in a helicopter accident when Sean was 13 years old.

A few weeks before this, we had felt like we needed to tell Ryker about Sean's dad. He had never asked about where Sean's dad was, but we wanted him to know who he was. We explained to Ryker who he was, how he died, all about heaven, and that he loves Ryker just as much as Papa (my dad) does. We gave him a picture of Grandpa Olson so that he would be able to picture what he looked like.

We had no idea how much he would grasp onto this whole concept. It opened up a whole new world of questions about death and heaven. We explained to him that Grandpa Olson's spirit is in heaven, but that his body was put in the ground so that we have a place to go and remember him. When we got to the grave site Ryker didn't quite get it. He kept asking if he could see Grandpa Olson. We gave him the picture and told him anytime he wanted to see him he could look at the picture, and anytime he wanted to hear about him he could ask Daddy or Grandma.

Sean and Grandma took a few minutes to tell Ryker about his Grandpa.  What he liked to do, what made him happy...It was special.






I'm so grateful for the Atonement and the Plan of Salvation. I'm grateful that someday I'll get to meet Sean's dad too! Though I'm sad for Sean and the loss of his father, I'm so grateful for the father that he has become because of that loss. He knows everything he missed out on, so he makes sure his kids don't ever miss out on the joys of having a dad. He is ever-present in their lives. From day one there hasn't been a thing he won't do for them, and I love him even more for that. He really is such an amazing daddy to these kids!

0 comments: