February 4, 2011

I Am A Runner

I had the following conversation with myself during my morning run the other day...

I had just started out on my long morning run. The first long one in several weeks thanks to the bronchitis I was plagued with for 2 weeks. It was cold. I couldn't feel my fingers and I felt like there were icicles coming out of my nose. I started thinking, "Wow. It's cold. Why are you doing this?"

Why?

I'm not a runner. Throughout my life I have ran, but I'm not a runner. To profess that I am a runner is like initiating myself into this whole new level of awesomeness. Runners are fast (which I'm not). They run all the time, long and hard (which I don't). To runners, running is like a person. A good friend they've had since childhood that knows everything about them. And, if we are being honest runners just have this weird obsession with running. I'm not a runner. I run, but I'm not a runner.

Well, as I began passing runner after runner on this cold morning run; waving and giving our out-of-breath hello's I started thinking...

They probably think I am a runner. I'm out here in the cold just like they are (in my new cute cold-gear running clothes). So, these are like my fellow peeps. Why do I think I'm not a runner?

Then I began to list off the things that do make me a runner...
  1. I've ran off and on since grade school.  
  2. I've willingly put myself through the torture of restarting after each baby (2 now). 
  3. I spit when I run (thanks to the boys cross country team I ran with in highschool for teaching me that skill).
  4. After some runs, I pee my pants (thank you baby #2).
  5. I admit, when no one else is around I do the running nose blow (it's ok though; all rules of lady-ness are put on hold when you're running).
  6. I get excited about improving my time. I also get just as excited about new running clothes as I do new everyday clothes.
  7. When running behind someone, I always have the urge to pass them (nevermind that it was just a gal out walking her dog).
  8. When I went to insta-care for the bronchitis the first thing the doctor said when he listened to my heart was, "Good strong heartbeat. You a runner?" In fact, in that 2 weeks I was sick I left my house for two things: the insta-care and running.
  9. My family runs. It's hereditary right?
  10. Much like the father-of-the-bride in My Big Fat Greek Wedding who believes that Windex is a cure-all for everything, I believe running is a cure-all for a lot of things. Stressed? Go for a run. Congested? Go for a run. Constipated? Go for a run. Tired? Go for a run. Can't sleep? Go for a run. Sore? Go for a light run....etc.
  11. I have a love/hate relationship with it, but for some reason I keep doing it.
After I listed off all these things this chant started in my head matching the pounding of every step, and maybe (just maybe) this chant will be what gets me through these next few months of training and my first half marathon...

I Am a Runner.

I may not be the fastest or run the farthest, but I am a runner!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job! Like so many of the "hereditary" things, I think this one skipped me over too...Man I miss out on a lot of good things! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I love it! And you ARE a runner, and always have been in my eyes. The genes skipped me too! Although, I really want to be as proud of myself as I was of everyone that ran the turkey trot. So therefore, I WANT to be a runner. How do I get to that??? Love you!

Tyrell Berner said...

You are FOR SURE a runner... and I am FOR SURE a walker (haha). At the beginning of this post I was like: "what? she really doesn't think she's a runner?!"

You are amazing!

Kristi said...

You are awesome Janelle! I think I agree with all you were thinking:)

eva said...

you make me laugh! you are a runner! love you!

ksrfam said...

Mom just "let" me read your latest post, I Am A Runner. SI should publish this! It would increase their readership by a bunch.

It's so funny 'cause it's so true to life. Your'e right. People (peeps) don't know what they're missing if they have never wondered why they are out in the cold, in the dark, in the wind, in the rain, being chased by dogs, having that passing *&*$% motorist throw a coke on you, slipping on the ice, breathless, tired, sore, stiff, thinking about the 26.2 that you someday will do.

Great thoughts! Thanks for sharing.

Dad

The Widerbergs said...

Love this. I totally see you as a runner! Go girl!!

Erika said...

I love this. I had the same conversation in my head a couple times. What changes you from the casual jogger to a full-on runner? When you're braving the freezing sleet because you need to get your miles in. When you only have to do "short" 5 mile runs this week. When you start buying books, reading the magazines, getting the gear, and basically become completely obsessed with training, techniques, times, fueling, etc. I love it. We are runners!

Grant Family said...

Congrats! You're funny!

Kody and Kurliston said...

This is awesome! It's making me think about running. I hate running, that is why I swam, but that still involved running. I hated that, stinkn' coach, but maybe I'll think about it. Maybe... and I loved your dads post!HILLARIOUS!