February 5, 2008

Baby Ryker...

We FINALLY have a sweet little boy! His name is Ryker Sean Olson and was born January 31st at 10:38pm. He was 8 lbs. 14 oz. 20.5 inches. He has tons of dark hair (hooray!), chubby little cheeks, a cute chubby nose, a skinny little body, and long toes! He is absolutely adorable!

I went into labor around 4pm the 31st, and got to the hospital about 7pm. I was dilated to a 4 and 90% effaced. After a few hours I was progressing quickly, but his heartrate kept dropping. It was decided to deliver him by C-Section due to the stress that labor was causing him. When they pulled him out they found that his cord was wrapped around his shoulder/armpit so with every contraction it was being restricted and causing his heartrate to drop. After giving me a quick peek they wisked him and Sean away to the nursery while I got stitched up. I made it back to the recovery room to find out that once again, I had only a few short minutes to hold my little guy before they had to take him to the NICU. His oxygen saturation levels were not staying up where they needed to be. Basically, he was breathing, but not taking deep enough breaths to get enough oxygen. That 5 minutes we had together was amazing and heart-breaking! He spent the next day and a half in the NICU learning how to breath and eat. It was a sad, hard time for all of us. After lots of prayers, Saturday afternoon he was finally able to leave the NICU and stay with us for good! It was a very happy day! We had to stay a few extra days for him to get treatments, and monitor the both of us. Our little family finally made it home Monday afternoon.

Parent life is amazing! We are so excited that Ryker is finally here, and that we can experience this all together. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, visits in the hospital, meals, flowers, and support! We love you all and will keep you updated on all the joys of parenthood!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's SO stinkin cute! I can't get over how much hair he has...and how dark it is! Love you all and can't wait to hold him!

Janelle said...

It actually looks much much lighter in this picture. It is quite dark in person, and there is tons of it. I tell him often he needs to keep it for me and not lose it all!