I just thought that I would share a few things about me that you may not know...
Did you know that I'm a Recreation Therapist? Well, my profession just got ranked #9 out of 20 for "Best Jobs For Saving the World" in CNN Money Magazine! Pretty exciting. I'm passionate about what I do, and was thrilled to see that others are beginning to realize the power of Recreation Therapy. You can read the article HERE and learn more about what I do HERE.
The other tidbit I'd like to share is the importance of using People First Language (PFL). I realize that this is me getting on my soapbox a little bit, and that I can be over-sensitive to it because of my profession. However, I do think it is important and wanted to teach you about it if you aren't already familiar with the practice.
Person First Language is the practice of always putting a person first before a condition or diagnosis that he/she may have, and describes what a person has, not who he/she is. It is a movement towards focusing on abilities rather than disabilities and recognizing that a medical diagnosis does not define who a person is.
For example, rather than saying "My autistic son", one would say "My son (person first) who has autisim (diagnosis)..."
We are people first. Each with our own interests, hobbies, etc. We need to be considerate when speaking of one's diagnosis, recognizing that an individual should never be defined or stereotyped because of it.
HERE is a great and consice article on PFL which also includes several examples of how to use it correctly.
HERE is an article that is a little more lengthy but very good. It goes into more detail about inaccurate and unacceptable descriptors such as "handicapped" and "disabled" and the attitudinal barriers that our language about disabilities can cause.
If you are interested in more information about PFL and disabilities you can go HERE.
HERE is an article that is a little more lengthy but very good. It goes into more detail about inaccurate and unacceptable descriptors such as "handicapped" and "disabled" and the attitudinal barriers that our language about disabilities can cause.
If you are interested in more information about PFL and disabilities you can go HERE.
Just a few more moments on my soapbox...
Using the term "retarded" when referring to something that is disappointing or negative is not ok. If you haven't seen THIS video promoting the Spread the Word to End the Word movement check it out. In concurrance with this movement just a few months ago a Utah State Law was passed changing the reference of Mental Retardation (MR) in statute to read Intellectual Disabilities (ID). The language we use towards and about people with disabilities is important so get informed and say it right! Be an example to your children and those around you by focusing on one's abilities rather than their disabilities and not stereotyping an individual because of his/her medical diagnosis.
On another note, if you or anyone you know has a disability whether it is physical, cognitive, mental, emotional, etc. there are so many amazing resources in Utah available for people with disabilities. Skiing, snowboarding, cycling, sled hockey, equine therapy, hippotherapy, ropes courses, swimming, group therapy, rock climbing, pet therapy, adaptive sports (tennis, golf, baseball, basketball, etc.)...you name it and I can find it for you. So much more is possible than people realize with the right adaptations, training, and resources. I would be more than happy to help. I can tell you amazing stories about how equine therapy has been the key factor in helping an individual with an ID learn how to read, or how playing a board game in a group therapy session helped a father who had an addiction to alcohol learn how to reconnect with is kids when sober. Wholesome recreational activities can do amazing things!
There you have it. Just a few things I'm passionate about that you may not have known. What are you passionate about that I may not know?
0 comments:
Post a Comment