April 19, 2011

Swimming Lessons

Ryker started swimming lessons last week. He went back and forth between feeling excited and anxious about them. Just a few things I want to remember...

When I first told him I signed him up for swimming lessons he was really confused that it wouldn't be at the same place (my sister-in-laws pool) or with the same teacher (my SIL's sister Kendra) as he had last summer. When I told him he would have a different teacher he said, "Well, can you just get me a teacher that looks like Kendra then?"

When we were driving to his first lesson he was really worried about whether his teacher would be a boy or a girl. I kept telling him I didn't know, but it didn't matter because both would be fun and keep him safe. He told me, "Well when we get there can you just ask them to give me a girl teacher?"

He got a boy teacher.




The first 3 lessons he would freak out and cry for a few minutes, but then he LOVED it! He would tell me all about his lesson and then say, "Mommy next time I'll remember that it's fun and not scary so I don't cry."

So far this week there hasn't been any tears!

It's amazing the detail he picks up. On a car drive the other day he said, "Mommy, Aaron (his swim teacher) has hair right here (pointing to his armpit) like Daddy. It helps him swim."

There are 2 male teachers for his class. He prefers one over the other, but for a while we didn't know his name so he would describe him by his swimsuit.

The End.

2 comments:

Kendra and Caleb said...

I wish I could be his swimming teacher!!!!! He is such a good little fish. tell him I say to "kick, kick, kick" and practice floating in the bath tub (but I recommend with his hands behind his head :)

Grant Family said...

Wow! I'm so behind on your blog, sorry! I knew you'd do awesome at the Half, nice work! and your family is adorable! Love the fish tank, but Sean probably selectively forgot how hard they are to clean; that's my childhood memory of fish tanks! Love the swim lessons, I was just looking into that at SJ pool!
Can't wait to talk to you when you get back! Maybe another Friday play date is in order. =)