June 23, 2008

Snippety-Snip

Ryker got his fraenulum snipped today. The fraenulum is the little piece of skin that attaches your tongue to the floor of your mouth. We found out that he was "moderately tongue tied" meaning that his fraenulum was attached a little closer to the tip of his tongue than usual restricting tongue movement. This condition could interfere with things such as speech development down the road so we decided to just have it snipped now rather than later when it would become a more complex procedure as the fraenulum thickened with age. It was a quick procedure. I held down his hands, but turned my head so I didn't have to watch. He cried for a minute, but as soon as I picked him up he settled down. Now he has an average fraenulum! All the crazy little things you have to worry about in parenthood!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad it went well!

Emily said...

I am so glad you got it taken care of. It sounds like it was much easier than I had expected. I love Ryker's post!

Erika said...

Ouch! That doesn't sound like so much fun. Glad he's so tough! FYI- I plan on swimming pretty much every day I'm not working, so you and Ryker can come up anytime! I think it's supposed to be in the 100's next week...